<VV> Turbos and 3.27 gearing

Guus de Haan corvair at corvair.nl
Mon Jun 19 15:59:55 EDT 2006

> Howdy All, Does anyone have experience with installing 3.27 diff
> gears vs. the standard 3.55 in
> an EM (1963) Spyder convertible/coupe?  I have to have my
> differential checked because of a
> persistent whine while running and have the option of changing
> ratios at this time.  I realize
> that there may be lower highway revs/noise, better gas mileage and
> that  boost may come on
> earlier because the engine is more "loaded" by the taller gearing.
> However I am concerned that
> the car (a convertible) may be even "doggier" off the line than it
> is now.

I've been wondering the same for my '65 Corsa. Speed maybe nice but
to be honest it's a 41 years old car with old days performance
anyway. My diesel car will outperform it any day. I just use it for
fun and would like the lower revs on the highway. Especially the
noise of a Corvair is very high compared to a modern car.

What would be the most sensible thing to to, switch the complete
differential or change the gears?

Regards,

Guus de Haan
The Netherlands