<VV> engine installation question

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 24 18:10:47 EDT 2006

 I believe I have solved the clutch problem. The flywheel bolts did contact the spring dampener retainers in the Vega clutch. I ground a bit off the bolt corners and the spring retainers. Measured the clearance with a combination of clay and masking tape. Looks like I have about .020 -.025 clearance.

   Now to reinstall the engine. I'm considering either:

   A) installing the power shaft into clutch / pilot bearing then pushing the long shaft back into the 4 speed thru the trans axle.

  B) install the power shaft all the way into the trans and then try to align the splines to the clutch.

   I have done A in the past, but new equipment may not give me the flexibility I'd like to have. I never tried to put the shaft into the trans and then into the clutch. I have alignment bolts help get it final inch of two.

   Experience / opinions???

MIKE KOVACS