<VV> powerglide/ diff swap

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Jun 25 01:55:23 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/24/2006 7:20:25 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
bob0017 at earthlink.net writes:

My  question thus, is can I move both the trans and diff bolted together as I
got  them off the tired engine and bolt them to the new bell housing?  The
shop manual from what I can see says nothing about doing this.  Can  anyone
clear up my confusion?
Thanks,
Bob O

Hi Bob,
Yes you can do that. But first a few cautions. The Shop Manual  instructions
about the spacer settings have to do with a swap (i.e.,  change) of either
tranny or diff. Not just a removal and reinstallation of the  same units.

Next is the concern for the differences between EM and LM bell housings and
torque converter flexplates. They are different. There is a combination of
bell  housing and flexplate for EMs and another for LMs. You are planning to mix
these  apparently. Don't!  You need to use the correct flexplate to match your
EM  bellhousing. The differences in flexplates are hard to see. Look at the
crank  bolt circle. If yours is a LM, there will be a small ,1/8 in. hole
within the  bolt circle. No hole= an EM flexplate.

Remember that the torque converter MUST be mounted on the diff BEFORE you
install the engine to the diff.

I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Bob Helt