<VV> Corsa update III

Guus de Haan corvair at corvair.nl
Sun Jun 25 09:06:20 EDT 2006

Today I took the Corsa for a longer drive to check temperatures.
First I tightened the fan belt which was indeed a bit loose. As long
as the engine doesn't get too hot (50 mph max.) it runs pretty okay.
Then I drove back home and took the lower shrouds off to see if it
made a difference. Well it certainly does. Now I can take the car
over 60/65 mph before it reaches 400F, so that is an improvement.
Taking the lower shrouds off may not cure the whole problem but at
least it makes it possible to use the car better now.

This drive also gave me a chance to try the turbo a little longer on
the highway and for a short period I had it up to 70/75 mph without
alarming temperatures.
I did notice the turbo isn't giving that much boost at the moment. I
guess I'll install the Ignitor again to see if I can improve the spark.

One thing that is very noticeable however is that after about an hour
or so (this trip as well as the one last sunday) the engine starts to
run less nice. On both trips todays I noticed the mixture getting
more lean and there's a little "popping" that sound like backfire
through the valves. Not much but it isn't there the first part of the
trip, only after the whole engine is warmed up. What could be the
cause of this?

Driving the car this morning was a lot of fun, the local Opel club
had an outing so I kept on greeting and greeting people. I forgot how
much fun it is to drive the car open. My wife wondered what kept me
since "I was only going for a testdrive" ;-)

Regards,

Guus de Haan
The Netherlands
'65 Corsa Turbo-Charged Cvt