<VV> Cleaning the engine (Teardown III)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sun Jun 25 14:17:45 EDT 2006

At 10:36 hours 06/24/2006, J R Read_HML wrote:
>Or a buddy who has access to a car wash after hours.  High pressure
>and STRONG detergents.
>
>Later, JR

A trip to Harbor Freight and a cheap pressure washer works pretty
well too, if you intend to spend time cleaning other stuff so as to
justify the <100 bucks for the washer.   Even a cheapo pressure
washer will clean up a grimy transaxle pretty well with some
dedication, especially if you feed it hot water and presoak with some
engine degreaser.    The "yellow football" variant of washer I bought
came with a cup attachment that feeds whatever sort of cleaner you
like into the stream of high pressure water.

I've found that aircraft strip also cleans up aluminum pretty well if
it has varnish deposits.

tony..