<VV> Teardown III .....Cleaning

mmcguire at hiwaay.net mmcguire at hiwaay.net
Sun Jun 25 19:11:05 EDT 2006

Snip

"As I posted before, I've used Easy-Off oven cleaner to get the baked on gunk
off and a pressure washer.  Lacquer thinner to help remove baked on gaskets
and stuff like aviation permatex etc that some people use, IMO in error.  To
do a thorough job of cleaning I use a variety of methods and employ them
over and over on the same part.  It is a big job!"

Just point out the obvioius.   Easy-off oven cleaner is a lye based product.  Lye is corrosive to alumium.

Use to soak 1/2 at a time in a 5 gallon bucket of car cleaner.  Seemed to work pretty good.  Had a old
diswasher for a parts washer and the alumium comes out shiny as new.

Michael