<VV> Re: GREAT PARTS WASHING CONTAINER

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Mon Jun 26 08:47:55 EDT 2006

i use discarded water softener salt tanks for parts washing/rinsing. they
have a lid on them and the diameter lets you put a block half in it with studs.
one type i found was blue and did not have a lip where the lid went on , so i
cut it down to about 22 inches.sometimes there is onne hole in the side for the
feed line that needs plugging , but if you cut  the tank down you eliminate
this problem. this lets you put a block half section (or both with no studs )in
with the lid on but uses less space.  my more flammable solvents (gas ,
kerosine etc ) were outdoors. i built a small wooden bench and soaked it up with
enamel paint to put 2 containers under. on top sets my head cooking oven..an old
built in unit found at the appliance store discard pile.
now i have to find a new place for all of this at my new location..i have a
sink on a counter with a pump to do my main washing after soaking , kinda like
a safety kleen unit. i use paint thinner / degreaser for solvent in a tank(cut
down water softener salt tank) under the sink drain , this has worked well
for many years. i have a tray in the sink that sets over a "scotchbrite" pad to
filter out the worst of the crud. a chunk of furnace filter also works for
this, or a aluminum filter out of a range hood. a good rinse with a water hose
and blow dry helps , but i prefer kero or gas (no flames here please!  lol  )as
final so things are less apt to rust.
it will be a long  time before i can work much on my vairs again, or play ham
radio for that matter.
regards, tim colson