<VV> PG idle

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Jun 26 10:25:45 EDT 2006

As I continue to prepare the wife's Corvair-powered '70 VW Westy for the
solo mother-daughter trip to the west coast and back this summer (via
RT66), I find myself still fighting  an idling problem.

The drivetrain is a 110/PG... and my PG experience is limited. Carbs are
recent, hoses all new, engine is strong, running an Ignitor II ignition,
63A 10SI alternator, etc... only real change from a Corvair application
is that I'm also powering a vacuum power brake assembly.

The VW runs perfectly... except it likes to occasionally stall at idle
when in gear. The problem is more noticeable when the engine is either
"just" warmed up (somewhat to be expected) and when the engine is fully
hot with a heavy electrical load (lights, fans, etc... charging two full
size batteries as well).  While most of the time the idle is nice and
smooth in gear, it sometimes just slowly drops off, stumbles, then dies.

I was initially thinking "mixture" but I've tweaked the idle mixture to
slightly more lean and then to slightly more rich (using the "properly
adjusted" mixture of about 2 turns out as the mid-point) and it seems to
make  no difference. It's so intermittent that it's difficult to really
troubleshoot...

Vacuum advance is not triggered.

I have the engine idling about 800rpm in neutral and right at 680-700 in
drive. Going to a lower idle makes it worse... and going to a higher
idle seems to not significantly change the idle in gear. It never dies
in neutral.

It's "good enough" to drive "as is" but if I could improve it slightly,
I'd like to.

BTW, mother and daughter will be carrying a CORSA roster... I hope they
don't find a need to call anyone... ;-)

Thanks!
Bill Elliott