<VV> A Misnomer ("mechanic") a bit long

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 27 15:12:01 EDT 2006

I'm starting to see too much of this stuff, so I thought I would pass along
my latest adventure. An elderly owner drove over 3 hours to get to my shop
this morning with complaints of his nice (immaculate) EM convertible (with
a freshly rebuilt 140) not running right after several trips to mechanics,
at least one of which claimed to be a "Corvair mechanic". His major
concerns were backfiring, engine dying at stops, bucking at low speed, poor
fuel economy, etc. I will leave the mechanic persons unnamed for obvious
reasons:-).
     The first things I noticed were 1965 carbs and 1966 linkage rods (with
springs) and 1965 swivels with parts missing, and choke rods tied back with
tie wraps, and the choke shafts free to open and close ("you don't really
need chokes in Florida...", he was told). The "mechanic" also saw fit to
attach a spring from the right primary throttle shaft lever to a bracket he
made for the right secondary (I use "made" loosely, as it had 6 small flat
washers on it to raise it up some). As the owner explained what he had seen
being done, I was somewhat surprised that the "mechanic" had "adjusted the
idle speed" with the swivel on the accelerator rod (hhhmmmmm?).
   To make a long (3 hours) story short, the primary carbs got new shafts,
choke links turned around correctly, and a proper adjustment (float drop
was way too high); the 1966 linkage and accelerator rod was swapped for the
correct 1965 set up (we had to do some bending to get the late rod to work
in the early car); the chokes were hooked up and the car ran like it is
supposed to (actually better). I can't remember when I have seen a happier
owner. He was so excited that I had to dial his wife for him (hands
shaking) to let her know he was on the way home. So, it seems that some
titles are used rather loosely.... :-).
Grant Young
Wolf Enterprises