180 Vacuum Advance Re: <VV> distributors

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 17:13:31 EDT 2006

Jim,
    I think the only problem with the Dale vacuum  advance/pressure retard is
that is uses MANIFOLD vacuum for the  advance.  All NA Corvairs use a PORTED
vacuum source in the carb so that  there is NO vacuum advance at idle.  With
manifold vacuum at idle, you have  full vacuum advance at idle and as soon as
you accelerate off idle speed, the  timing advance takes a big drop, not too
good for off the line acceleration  and throttle response.  There are at least 2
solutions to  this.  The most obvious one is to switch out the 150/160
throttle body of  the YH (which is separate from the rest of the carb) with a
similar YH throttle  body from a NA early Corvette or Nash or ?  Those throttle
bodies have a  vacuum advance port just like on the Corvair Rochester carbs.  But
you have  to find that non-Corvair YH throttle body.
    Another way is to install a microswitch on the  throttle linkage that
controls a vacuum solenoid valve you install in the  manifold vacuum line.
Adjust the microswitch so that the vacuum to the  distributor is shut off at idle
and turns on as soon as the throttle goes off  idle.  I think Ray Sedman has a
kit for this setup.
    Frank "try it, you'll like it" Burkhard

In a message dated 6/26/2006 12:57:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,