<VV> Hidden VIN on a FC

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 30 10:49:12 EDT 2006

Hi Terry,

DMV can be a pain.  I feel your pain.

When I registered my 61 Brier back in 87 the gal inspecting my van asked me
to open the back doors.  She said "Where's the VIN tag?  It's suppose to be
here on the rear door frame"  I told her where it was to which she replied
"It's suppose to be on the rear door frame, someone moved it"  I informed
her that it was not a VW but a Corvair and to look on the tag, it says
"Cheverolet".  She then tried to tell me that since it didn't have passenger
seats in the back, that it wasn't a station wagon but a van (higher
registration fee).  I told her that the seat were removable and I had them
at home.  She made me drive all the way back home and mount the seats before
she would accept it as a station wagon.

It was fun getting our UltraVan registered too.  With the UltraVan, the VIN
number is 3 digits and is on an adhesive sticker on the door frame.  It is
the number of the coach.  First, they argued with me and said that no VIN
number was only 3 digits long.  Then they didn't like the sticker.  The gal
had to get a supervisor over to get approval to accept the VIN number.  When
she looked up the VIN number in the system, she said it was already in the
system under another person.  She read off the name, it was the owner the
last time the UltraVan was registered in California which was serveral
owners back.  Lucky for me I didn't have to go to the CHP for an inspection,
she accepted it after finding the previous owner in the system.

I was worried about having to go to the CHP.  They might have taken one look
at the front seats and crack in the passenger windshield told me to fix them
before I could get it registered.  The seatbelt and your butt is what holds
the front seats in place in a stock UltraVan!  Friction baby.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

Terry Kalp said:
>Started out the week in my favorite way . . . I went to the local DMV to
have my recently
>(out of state) purchased '61 Loadside's VIN certified so I could get it
registered.

>Well they didn't like the looks of the rivets in the door tag so they
searched for the hidden >VIN, but didn't know where to look.  They didn't
find it but let me pass anyway.  I know on
>the LM's the hidden VIN is in the passinger wheelwell near/behind the
suspension upright . .  >I have even seen a few.  Anyone know where it could
be found on an FC?