180 Vacuum Advance Re: <VV> distributors

Duane, Jim (US SSA) Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Fri Jun 30 14:49:32 EDT 2006

Hi Frank.
    True, and the "down side" is lots of advance at idle.  I haven't
researched the availability of the Nash/Vette throttle body (I
understand the YH was also used on tractors) and should do that
first...Grant?  Not really a problem for me, but others who have
attempted to "smoothly launch" my car find it difficult.  I thought abut
the idle switch and switched vacuum, but the Electrical Engineer in me
wanted to try something different.
    In addition to a Pertronix I, I also have installed an EKE that is
ancient transistor technology, but works.  It retards the timing,
progressively, with each impulse from the knock sensor, until a max of
10 degrees.  Sooo, I designed (haven't built yet) a missing pulse
detector that sits on the pertronix output to the EKE and intend to have
it adjusted to trigger at about 1100 RPM.  The missing pulse detector's
output pulses are wired to the knock sensor wire.  Should work.  I'll
build it, er, ah, some day...

Jim "procrastination" Duane

JED

  _____