<VV> Corvair drives and Corvair work updates

Douglas Barneck dougbee at comcast.net
Wed Mar 1 12:42:57 EST 2006

In response to Sally's post of her cruise to Santa Fe, I'll just respond that I drove the 64 coupe to work in 50-65 degree weather on Monday both ways, Tuesday morning was 40-50 mile an hour winds on the way to work and freezing sleet on the way home Tuesday evening.  If you can't tell, it gets driven every day.

The daughter that is a senior in High School drives the 65 monza P/G to school and to work after every day.  The son that is a junior in high school is driving my 66 Fitch Sprint to school and to work every day.  Three out of four car cars here at the house that get driven every day are Corvairs.

I am currently helping the above two kids restore 65 Monza converts, side by side, in the garage.  The daughters Evening Orchid Monza has had the front and rear suspension and brakes completely redone.  Her floors had the fronts patched and the entire pan under the rear seat replaced.  Rust patches included both fender dog legs, both door patches, both rear qtr patches, battery tray, and both rear weight mounts, and one front corner and the front trunk pan bottom and lower windshield panel.  Hers is waiting to be wet sanded when the weather finally gets warm.  The drivetrain and rebuilt transaxle (with posi added) will go back in this week or next.

The Son's is a red Monza that he wants blue.  Front and rear suspension have been rebuilt and repainted including the brakes.  The 140 has been resealed and repainted and carbs rebuilt.  We had the transaxle rebuilt and posi added.  His drivetrain and suspension is back in including heater box rebuilding.  We currently have the entire floor cut out and will be replacing it with two donor pieces from other cars.  We'll see how that goes.  It shouldn't be too bad.  Need to sand and paint both interiors and then start on his car's body work.  They both want to have them painted this spring or early summer.

How is that for my Corvair work for the last six months?  The two daughters in Junior High school want to get started on their 63 converts but I told them they are going to have to wait until these other two are finished.  I don't want to have even more of them in pieces...
Doug Barneck
in Utah