<VV> Re: tarz

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Mar 3 00:20:13 EST 2006

>The more weight or cornering, acceleration and braking loads you're
>expecting a tire to carry the greater its slip angles.

Almost everyone looks at the loaded part of the traction curve and back in
the 60s, that's all there was. However the single greatest difference
between then and now is the increase in tire performance, as Bill Neely
said those tires weren't even safe in the driveway. Besides, as mentioned
GM wanted to be sure that when a Corvair left the road, it lead with the nose.

Today the place to avoid in a rear engined car, Fiero or Corvair, is the
back side of the skewed bell curve of traction and something called
"unladen understeer". Its easy to spot, put too much rubber on all four and
turn sharply without warning. You will discover what "washing out" means as
no change in steering angle will affect the direction.

Modern racers learned to practice slow hands and late braking to load the
front tires before starting the turn. This moves the tire up close to the
peak of the curve to avoid sudden breakaway in the turn. Is easy to do once
you understand what the car is telling you.

BTW for me, extra weight and staggering tires always made me go slower.
What works is getting as much traction and as little weight on all four
corners and then learning how to drive it.

Padgett