<VV> "sealed" trunks

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Fri Mar 3 08:05:42 EST 2006

mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:
> Uh, yeah, right - deciding to put in a trunk mat is a typical engineering function....
>
> More likely sales and marketing, a department well known for their intelligence.

Having formerly been a GM engineer for over 12 years, I can
counter this a bit.

It's possible that some product planner may have said they
wanted a "trunk mat" , but I can assure you that it probably
was an engineering function who specified exactly what kind
of mat (cheap non-breathable rubber in this case) would be
used.  Likewise for the washer bottle clip and the door
latch striker plate and the rear shelf cardboard...
Certainly, they may have had multiple items under their
responsibility, but there is an engineer for EVERYTHING,
even the non-glamourous stuff. I they design even stuff like
this wrong, or specify the wrong materials or processes, bad
things (like rust) can happen.

Jim Burkhard