<VV> fuel pumps

Mel Smith my65vair at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 4 14:34:31 EST 2006

My '65 corsa 110 has been running erratically lately. Somewhere along the
line someone installed an electric fuel pump, but the fuel lines in the
engine compartment are still routed through the mechanical one. I know the
pump was instlled prior to the mid-80's and it is a small generic unit
labelled for use in an import car. Gas only seems to be trickling from the
line when I turn on the pump with the engine off, and the right hand
carburetor bowl didn't have any gas in it when I opened it, despite the pump
having been on for awhile. Why is the mechanical pump still in the engine?
You can't get anywhere in the car without turning on the electric pump, so
are both pumps neede to meet the needs of the engine? I am considering
re-routing the lines so that they dodn't go into the mechanical pump, but I
don't know if the electric one will be enough.