<VV> fuel pumps

CorvairEd at aol.com CorvairEd at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 02:48:25 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/4/2006 11:35:41 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
my65vair at hotmail.com writes:

Why is  the mechanical pump still in the engine?
You can't get anywhere in the car  without turning on the electric pump, so
are both pumps neede to meet the  needs of the engine? I am considering
re-routing the lines so that they  dodn't go into the mechanical pump, but I
don't know if the electric one  will be enough.

I'd suspect some of your fuel filters are plugged.  Yes, you can  remove the
mechanical fuel pump and reroute the fuel lines but remember to close  off the
hole where the fuel pump was removed.  An aluminum fuel pump plug  is
available from any of the vendors.  Be sure to check the strainer in the  tank.  It
is one of the first of the filters to get plugged.   Also check if the previous
owner installed any other inline filters in the  system and check/replace the
filters at the carburetors.

Ed Corson  (CORSA member)
Inland Empire Corvair Club