<VV> Strange power loss problem fixed - now vacuum question at idle.

Keith Onchuck keitho64 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 15:20:55 EST 2006

First, thanks for all of the feedback on my strange
power loss problem.  It was due to a blockage in the
fuel tank.  The rubber hose on the filler fell apart
and landed in the tank.  It blocked the feed line
enough that it would intermittently clog the line.  It
finally got to the point where it would not even run
above idle with any load.  So I now have a nice clean
fuel tank (I even applied sealer to the outside of the
tank).  In the fix it while you are in there category,
I installed new front shocks and all sway bar
bushings.  I also had one broken sway bar mount which
was replaced.  I had the car all ready to go and then
the snow came, UGH!

I do have a question on carb balancing.  I have 4
carbs, two primaries and the two secondary on a
progressive linkage which actuate at about 30% open on
the primary.  At idle all 4 carbs are pulling the same
reading on my unisyn.  At part throttle the two
primaries are equal as are the two secondaries.  Of
course the secondaries are lower since they are still
at the idle stop.  When I have all for open the
balance is the same with the equal distribution across
each pair respectively.

Now for the question, I put a vacuum gauge on each
bank and they both are pulling 14-16” of vacuum at
idle.  The problem as I see it is the vacuum is
fluctuating rapidly between 14-16 as if the motor has
sticky valves.  What is the normal vacuum I should see
at idle on a 140 motor?  Is it normal for the
fluctuation?  I always thought the idle vacuum should
be rock solid but I never check before so I do not
have a good baseline.

Thanks

Keith