<VV> Rechroming A/C vents

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Wed Mar 8 15:09:15 EST 2006

The side bezels and balls are chrome-plated (actually a paint process)
plastic, as is the center vent bezel. The center vent itself is actual
chrome-plated metal, with a pot-metal housing, and it's all riveted
together. I've been supplying Clark's, Wall's, and Larry's with center
vent bezels that are a new cast resin plastic material, and
chrome-plated. I also can have the side bezels replated. The unfortunate
side of this is my supplier (I'm really only a middleman) is often slow
in producing product, which is why there is a large backorder for the
center vent bezels.

The balls can be redone, but the cost ends up about as much as new
repops available from Classic Industries (which sells parts for Camaros,
Firebirds, full-size Chevys, and other cars). They are common with the
'67-8 Camaro, though I am not sure if the (black) detailing is exactly
like the Corvair. The Corvair has only two vanes chrome detailed,
whereas some balls have three detailed on the one side. Something to
look out for when doing a pure stock resto.

Also they sell new side bezels, but there are rumors that the contour
doesn't match the Corvair dash. Plus you have to watch out for the front
edge as to whether it's sharp or rounded. On the Corvair it's sharp, but
some bezels have that character line radiused off.

A word of warning about the side bezels - be careful about taking them
apart. The tabs are easily broken, and if there are pulled screw holes,
pieces broken off and missing, bad cracks, or heavy gouges in the
plastic, the core is junk. Any imperfection is only emphasized when the
plating hits it, including cracks that are invisible or not repaired.
Just this week, I got a shipment from someone that contained 8 side
bezels. Only two or possibly three were any good at all.

-Mark