<VV> Rewiring

Paul Rollins s_debaker at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 10 19:27:35 EST 2006

At 04:44 PM 3/10/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:33:50 -0500
>From: "Anil Mittal" <anil at anil.com>
>Subject: <VV> Great Corvair Resource
>

>  Hello everyone. I just wanted to tell you about a new resource I
>have been using for my Corvair which I think is great.
>
>  My car is back from the body shop! If you don't remember my father
>in-law backed into the front right fender on October of 2004 which
>caused a decent amount of damage to the car. Upon removing some trim
>from the car to get it repainted I found rust at the lower edge of
>the windshield where a previous owner had filled in the drain holes.
>With this find and a bit more rust on the dash I decided to have the
>whole car stripped and repainted. I had it painted in DuPont
>ChromaLusion paint which does a subtle color shift from a dark
>metallic red, into gold/orange. I had all of the body work and
>painting done at the Corvair Ranch and they did an amazing job. I
>highly recommend them to anyone in the area for mechanical or
>cosmetic work.
>
>  I picked up the car about 3 weeks ago and spent the first 1.5 weeks
>trying to figure out where to start reassembling and ordering parts.
>My first task was to rewire the car with all new harnesses.
>Installing new harnesses is pretty easy but as usual I must
>complicate things! I am making many electrical modifications to the
>car including:
>
>  1) Modern ATO fuse block mounted in trunk
>  2) E Spec Headlights with relays
>  3) 4 Way flashers
>  4) Alarm with remote start
>  5) Power Locks
>  6) Power Windows
>  7) Oil Temp Gauge
>  8) Oil Pressure Gauge
>  9) Volt meter
>  10) CD Changer with XM and iPod interface
>  11) Something I am forgetting right now
>  12) 0 Gauge feed to trunk from battery
>

>  To all the purists out there, please don't lecture me. I appreciate
>your concern but I do this because I can and because I need projects
>to keep my mind busy :-)
>
>  Instead of trying to add all this stuff to the Corvair I wanted to
>wire it as if it left the factory with all of this stuff. I have
>spent almost 2 weeks with all of the stock wiring harnesses laid out
>in the basement while grafting all of the new wiring in. I have been
>using the CD of color coded wiring diagrams from Ned
>(aeroned at aol.com) and I don't think I would be able to even attempt
>what I am doing without his hard work. The CD is excellent. It is
>laid out in a very organized way, each circuit in each harness is
>shown individually in color as well as all the circuits together. I
>highly recommend this CD for anyone who wants a better understanding
>of your Corvair's electrical system. I found the shop manual to be
>useless in comparison. Thanks for letting me share, hope the CD is of
>some help to others out there.
>
>Anil

There may be an easier way. A twenty-one-circuit, twenty-fuse, street-rod
wiring harness comes with almost all this work done for you. It uses the
modern, blade-type fuses. The wire color code is GM, plus the function of
each wire is printed about every 8 inches, right on the wire. For a
Corvair, a few wires may need to be extended to the engine, but most of the
wires are extra long, so maybe not many. Circuits for all the power
accessories are included, plus A/C, modern radio, etc. They are pretty
cheap on eBay. I just rewired our 1955 MG Magnette with one of these
harnesses. I bought another for my Alfa Giulietta project, too. I don't see
any reason I will not use this system on all future projects.

Paul