<VV> IT'S @$!#*&%^ ALIVE!!!

Ryan Verthein daretocorvair at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 11 23:11:59 EST 2006

WOOO!!!!!

So....I got everything hooked up...got all of the gas
stuff in place...did the timing as best as I could,
which proved to be wrong...and last night my buddy
Scott and tried to start the car.  Cranked, and we got
a lot of smoke, but nothing was really hapeening...I
had to work early today ( as I do tomorrow, so I'm
tryping this really fast like!) so I went to bed.

Came home today DETERMINED, that my car would staret.
everything was in place, and I knew it had to be
something dumb.

I tried it again, and the ignition got fused and the
starter ran free for a while.  After a lot of really
loud cussing, I got the problem fixed and called up my
good Buddy Ron Thompson from the Corvair club in
Duluth.

I followed the book and got the car CLOSE...it would
almost start, but not really...Ron told me to look up
static timing and see what happens.  so I followed
Matt Nalls directions, and the car started.

THE CAR STARTED!!!!!!!!!  FOR THE FIRST TIME IN LIKE
17 YEARS!  37 for the car istelf!!!!!!!

it was LOUD.  you all were right, my dad compared it
to a DC-3.  he wasn't far off, I'd say.

So, we played with it, and somked up the whole
neighborhood...in fact, there may be a new ozone hole
above Bovey, Minnesota.

Anyway...we took a movie that you can See HERE!!!!!

http://www.edselmotors.com/itsalive.MOV

great stuff.  this movie is a big file, but well worth
it (if you REALLy love me!  hahaha!  )

I did finally block off the balance tubes, and the car
idles fairly well.  now I just need to time the beast
for real, dial in the carbs...and in 2 weeks, I'll get
my brakes and exhaust in the mail, and the car will
once again be on the road.

I know I'm not done with that car yet, but I'd like to
take the time now to thank those who have helped me.
if I tried to name you, I'd miss someone, and hurt
their feelings or something...So, you know who you
are, and I give MANY thanks to you.

Matt, JR, Lon, and Norm were BIG helps since day one.
you guys rock.  thanks for the help and inspiration!

with happiness (and sad I have to work in 7 hours and
still need a shower...PEW!)

Ryan V. in Bovey
65 Corsa Coupe 110/4