<VV> RE: Carb Bushings

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 12 17:49:34 EST 2006

Just catching up on some old posts and noticed one on carb bushings on
which I have a different opinion (don't we all ?):-)
  Installing bushings is a fairly easy, low risk adventure. Since you will
be drilling with a bit that is only slightly larger than the hole (11/32"
into a 1/4" hole, which is only .29" difference in circumference), the bit
will practically pull itself through nice and true. Just have a well
lubricated (slightly used) bit in a good quality drill and go slow.
(There's a joke in there for you Chuckster). You can screw it up if you
try, however. Teflon is my favorite bushing material as it requires no
lubrication, helps seal the shaft, can be easily replaced in a few years,
and will not cause any wear on the shafts.
While shafts take most of the wear, the carb body will eventually start to
wear. It is not uncommon to find bowls where new shafts alone won't fix the
leak. If you have more than about .002" total run out you can probably
expect to have adjustment and idle problems.
Shaft "seal kits" are "band-aids" at best . They don't remove any slop and
can harden or swell over time. The O-rings do stay lubricated, however, by
the fuel that is constantly on them. Usually not a good idea except
possibly to help with some finicky secondaries.
The Carbmeister