Fwd: <VV> Air cleaners stock or individual

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Mar 12 18:40:13 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/12/2006 5:56:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
corvair65 at verizon.net writes:

> Other than
> looking nice and making it easier to get to the carbs for adjustments, I was
>
> wondering if there was anything else to gain doing this?
>
> I know I will no longer be able to keep my spare tire back there and that
> troubles me somewhat, since I don't like the idea of a loose tire in the
> trunk.  Are there any other negative reasons to not do this?
>
> Russ Moorhouse
> '65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
> Group Corvair Member
> Corsa Member
> Kent Island, MD

Russ,  Brent's comments echo my own experience.  I almost bought individual
air cleaners at one time because I liked the way they looked on another
car--but I decided against it for the PCV reasons Brent mentioned.  The stock air
cleaner setup works fine--and will look great when rechromed.  If different air
cleaners have any advantage (assuming they do at least as good a job cleaning
the air) they only allow more air through--less restrictive.  But then you get
into fuel/air mixture adjustments.  Unless you are really into fiddling with
your carbs etc. I'd recommend sticking with the stock system--and you'll have
the extra $25.00 bucks to spend on something else.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Broer
'65 Corsa