<VV> Re: LM mounts

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sun Mar 12 19:30:23 EST 2006

To follow up on my previous comments...

Clarks sent me a replacement mount and generously included a new
figure-8 washer, which easily fit the mount.  The old washer was very
tight on the new mount also, but freer than on the mount I sent back,
and would have required significant reaming to work.  It is possible
that deformation from the nuts was a factor.  I did have to do a bit of
filing on the sides of the slots in the cradle to get the mount to pass
through it.  Hence, I still suspect the center-to-center spacing.

Anyway, in preparation for mounting, I slightly slotted the wide side
mounting holes just in case, and milled a much larger slot in the top to
clear the rear panel support.  It is true that once loaded by the engine
weight, there is enough drop to mostly clear the support, but where the
support curves toward the rear it would be very close to the original
slot corner, and installation unweighted would be more difficult, I expect.

Measuring from the top of the mount to the rear frame, the unloaded
dimension was 1.415.  Loaded, but undriven, it is 1.115.  The
measurement is taken on the driver's side, about 3/8 inch from the rear.
  I do not think the mount upper surface is closely parallel to the top
of the frame, so there may be differences depending on where it is
measured.  The thickness of the mount top I measured to be 0.212, which
may be subtracted from the above numbers to compare with the under
surface to frame dimension of an inch Padgett previously reported.

This mount raised the rear of my engine at least an inch.  The seal gap
at the rear is now slighly narrower than at the front.  I guess the rear
mount had seen better times.  I just can't recall how peaked it looked
when new.  My OEM mount is fairly flat across the top when loaded (or
unloaded, for that matter).

Padgett: In your instructions you call for 60 lb-ft of torque on the
lock nuts attaching the mount to the engine cradle, consistent with my
1965 shop manual.  However, my 1966 supplement calls for 30 lb-ft in the
exact same table.  Is this a known discrepancy with a consensus as to
which is correct?  While I believe the nuts and bolts can take the
higher torque, I see no reason why they should need it.  The nuts are
locknuts, and ahouldn't need torque for retention.  Most forces put on
the interface are taken by the rubber mount, so I would expect shear and
other effects that might work the interface to be mild.  Opinions are
welcome, since I'm only guessing here.

kirby