<VV> High Pressure Oil Pump No Corvair

Garth Stapon corvair2 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 13 23:45:42 EST 2006

Gents:

We have a customer that races short track ovals. He runs a V8 water pumper.

He has a dyno and claims that a regular oil pump drives a sufficient volume of oil especially with synthetic oil.

His position is that running a high flow oil pump just eats HP with little or no benefit.

He suggests a big enough reservoir to keep oil temp below 350 F, but too large is just as bad as too small (Cold oil eats HP is his claim).

This is the weird part. He claimed (from my memory of our discussion) that a high flow oil pump can take

50 % more HP to drive when compared with a standard unit. He dropped a number of 50 hp just to drive the oil pump. I just listened and thought I would send this out to you folks.

I was thinking about a high volume oil pump for the Vair, but after this discussion, I have second thoughts

He has a dyno and claims that he has measured the difference.

Is he blowing smoke????

Regards, Garth