<VV> Re: broken pinion

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 21:36:32 EST 2006

I would not expect any clutch to be able to break ring or pinion teeth.
Close inspection of the broken bits should tell a tale.

I'd expect to find one of 2 things.
1 - collateral damage made by a hunk of something solid having become wedged in the gear mesh causing an instant overload.
2 - "beach marks" in one of the breaks, starting from some flaw in the tooth, progressing over time until the tooth was too weak.  That tooth could then become the chunk that caused the second tooth to fail as in part 1.

http://www.tribology.co.uk/services/investigate/g01-0.htm
--
Dan Timberlake