<VV> Turbo Pressure Retard/Advance

frankcb at aol.com frankcb at aol.com
Tue Mar 14 15:10:29 EST 2006

Hi "P."
     Some years ago when I was driving my 180 everyday back and forth to work I installed a vacuum advance "pot" from an NA Corvair and found the gas mileage went from 18 to 22 mpg, an increase of over 20%.  I used an "electronic knock eliminator" (EKE) to take the place of the missing pressure retard.  In addition to the significant mileage improvement, I also noticed a big improvement in part throttle acceleration.  The vacuum advance "pot" is hooked up to a vacuum advance port on the non-Corvair throttle body of the otherwise stock YH carb.  This eliminates vacuum advance at idle speed and only brings in the advance as the throttle plate opens ABOVE idle speed.  If you install the Dale unit, in order to prevent vacuum advance at idle, I would also install a vacuum solenoid valve in the vacuum line that you connect to the intake manifold.  Ray Sedman at American-pi.com has these units for Corvair use.
     Further details can be found in my Turbocharging chapter of the "Corvair Basics" manual available from CORSA.
     Frank "EVERY non-race Corvair needs vacuum advance" Burkhard