<VV> Re: AIR CLEANER HOUSING

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 14 16:01:07 EST 2006

The GM engineers did not waste time designing the snorkel(s) just to make it look good. That cost $$. The snorkel(s) are just a venturi accelerating the air through and the dropping it for volume inside the flow pipes. The  whole system is also a silencer and fire suppressor

N2VZD at aol.com wrote:   the snorkel shape was designed for the cu in of the engine. the way i
understand it after a rochester carb engineer caught me with it flipped is the
venturi length and taper was tuned for maxi efficeincy. he said if i showed up at
the plant he could demonstrate that fact. so i never flipped my lid again ,
just retuned that draned egr and flow of converter. this was on 70's vintage
oldsmobile 403's etc. corvairs are the same priciple.messing with the air
cleaners is like tunning a stack on fuel infection units i guess. you real
engineers can set us straight on all of this? intake and exhaust tuning is a real
science if you want to nit pick. me? i just drive them.earlier that 64 they only
tried to keep the noise down , not tune them.
regards, tim colson