<VV> Re: AIR CLEANER HOUSING

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Mar 14 14:38:18 EST 2006

I agree that the snorkel is designed so that the length and taper are
tuned for max efficiency but within the confines of the PRIMARY purpose
being intake noise reduction.... that's like saying that Cadillac
Eldorado springs are tuned for max performance... within the confines of
the primary purpose being a smooth ride. While they may be tuned as well
as possible given the primary design characteristics, improvements can
usually be made.

Now depending on the application, you CAN really disrupt the designed
airflow (the airflow is sometimes better with a restrictive intake
system than the bare carb sitting there alone) but that doesn't mean it
can't be improved on when you are not concerned about intake noise.

Flipping the top on a Corvair air cleaner system can only help it's
performance (IMO) due to the remote location of the filter... and I
agree with the others that the airflow at the turndown to the carb can
be dramatically improved. The individual K&N copies from Larry's Corvair
not only look and sound great, I suspect they do a decent job of
managing airflow turbulence.

Bill