<VV> Timing- quick one

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 11:55:37 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/15/2006 8:37:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
daretocorvair at yahoo.com writes:

> I have my timing set at like maybe 4 BTDC right
> now...I have to take my distributor out and move to 14
> BTDC and re-install right?  not just move it...cause
> I'm retarding and advancing from 4 if I just move the
> distributor, yes?

NONNONONONONONO!!!!!  gggg

The  swing of the distributor is approx. 30 deg!  IF you are at 4 DEG>  BTDC
[ advance....rotate the distributor  CCW  approx. 1/4" [ at VA  nipple]

My instructions from my webpages...

To install distributor:

A  Remove sparkplug from #1 [ closest to dist.] B  Crank engine with starter
with finger in hole. C  When pressure blows your fing out...STOP D  Timing
mark will have passed the timing guide / rotate pulley CW until       the timing
mark on the pulley is at 14 DEG. STOP DO NOT MOVE ENGINE!! E  With dist. in
your hand.....point rotor towards VA diaphram...1" below VA F  Look at bottom of
Dist. shaft......with VA pointed at rear bumper /     determine where the oil
pump SLOT should be....taking into account the gears are      angled and the
Rotor will turn approx. 1/8 turn... G  Align oil pump slot...........install
dist. [ gasket!] and insert dist.       until it bottoms out at gasket
surface...if not move oil pump shaft slightly... H  Add holdown clamp and tighten with
fingers. I   Connect wire from Dist. to "-" of coil J  Add Dist. cap / Coil
lead and # 1 SP wire.....with sparkplug in! Hold SP against metal. K  Turn on
Ignition..DO NOT CRANK ENGINE L  By hand..Rotate Dist CW all the way it will go
[ hits eng.] M  Rotate CCW slowly until #1 SP fires STOP Tighten down dist.
NOTE: if you set the points right / have spark...there is no reason to move the
Distributor. ANY engine will run with this timing. Any problems with missing
/ bad idle is the Carbs or the Sparkplugs /wires, etc.

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Mr. DeckRug
http://members.aol.com/patiomatt    Corvair Info!