<VV> Re: Powder Coating

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 16 14:02:53 EST 2006

Hi, Chick.
Yes, it's supposed to, but if there's a delay between sandblasting and
powder coating (especially if the parts need to be transported from one
business to another, and then sit in the shop), the moisture is already in
and on the surface of the metal. The powder coat does slow the oxidation
process down, but it's still there.

>From personal experience; I once had an anchor powder coated (don't ask why
<G>). Big mistake. After sitting unused on the bow of the boat for a year,
the coating started to bubble and flake off. I was told by the powder coater
of the residual moisture/corrosion problem after complaining to him about
the coating failure. He was not the sandblaster, and the blasted (pun
intended) parts had sat in the back of my car for a couple of days before I
got them to him for coating. So, the start of the rust had already occurred,
even though it was not visible to the eye.
Lesson learned.
Regards
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan