<VV> Re: insurance question (not Corvair specific)

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 17 11:15:15 EST 2006

My post regarding Haggerty old car insurance was aimed at those of us who do
not drive our Corvairs on a daily basis, but use them for shows, club
cruises and "sunny day" trips. Sorry if I confused the issue.

For another comparison, State Farm (with whom I have all the rest of my
insurance) once gave me a quote of $106 per year for a declared value of
$6000 (100/300/50,000 coverage). This was with $100 deductible for
comprehensive and $500 deductible for collision. However, again, this was
for "limited use". They were willing to insure the Corvair(s) at a declared
value under their regular car insurance, at the normal (or discounted)
rates.

Since all of my Corvair vehicles are limited use, I'm now with Haggerty.

And Gary, yes, for the most part collector car insurance is a sweet deal for
the insurance companies. That is, until a loss occurs. A good friend
recently lost 8 restored old cars in a garage fire ('13 Franklin, '23 T', 69
Cad DeVille,  '70 Buick GS, etc.....all show cars). Haggerty wrote him a
check within a week for the full declared value of all the vehicles.
Insurance is expensive until you need it.
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone
1966 180/4 Cord 8/10