<VV> Re: insurance question (not Corvair specific)

aeroned at aol.com aeroned at aol.com
Fri Mar 17 12:08:39 EST 2006

Gary wrote:
<Snip>
But if the car is totalled you will find that even though they charged you for coverage, they will only pay to their idea of what the car is worth. Usually in the $500-$1500 range........blue book value.
<Snip>

Gary,
I have to disagree with your statement based on my experience with the Deer Hunter. The car was a restored 1966 Corsa Coupe that was attacked by a deer while on my way to Lexington. I had "regular" insurance on the car including comprehensive. The adjuster estimated the damage around $6000. Originally he set value of the car was set around $5000 based on "comparable" vehicles. I disputed this value and used the blue book value for a restored car as part of my justification. I also had several "For Sale" ads, E-bay cars and a pile of receipts. The adjuster changed the value of the car to the number I felt the car was really worth (and increased the buy back price too). At the end of the whole process, I had a satifactory settlement and the car.

Ned