<VV> Powder Coating

Paul Rollins s_debaker at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 17 11:44:52 EST 2006

At 11:46 PM 3/15/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:48:31 -0700
>From: "Bob Gilbert" <bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca>
>Subject: <VV> Powder Coating
>To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>, <corvairs at cybrus.net>
>
>Hi,
>
>  I'm putting together my to do list for my 66 convertible for this year and
>I'm considering getting the sheet metal powder coated. It was last painted 8
>years ago and needs some attention.
>
>  Any pointers, do's and don'ts with respect to powder coating would be most
>appreciated
>
>  Thanks,
>
>Bob 66 180 convertible (and enough parts to build 3 cars!)

I realize you are probably fully committed to powder coating, but here's a
lower-cost alternative that might appeal to others who may like the look
but not the cost. This is just an observation, not a recommendation for
anyone else.

I have had good results with Hammerite paint. It has glass particles in it
and makes a pretty hard surface. There are smooth-glossy and
hammered-glossy finishes, and possibly a satin finish. To me, the smooth
-glossy finish looks like powder coat, and it is a small fraction of the
cost of powder coat. It comes in aerosol and regular forms. I don't know if
it will stand up to the heat that engine tin experiences, but I use it on
suspension parts and trunk interiors.

Paul