<VV> FC fuel gauge sender

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Mar 19 14:55:00 EST 2006

At 02:40 PM 3/18/06 -0500, Spencer Shepard wrote:

>I need a sending unit for the fuel gage on a '64 Greenbrier. Old one is
>mostly rust. I don't think they are reproduced and I have been told that
>the one for a 64/65 is different from the earlier ones. Anyone have one or
>any advice on making something work? Are the newer ones really different?

Hello Spencer,

I have done some limited research on this subject and what I found was kind
of interesting:

1) All FC's use a 0-30 ohm resistance fuel gauge sender--same as EM's and
GM cars built before 1965.

2) Beginning 1965 most of the GM line was changed to 0-90 ohm senders.

3) The Chevy Van (front engine replacement for the FC's) began production
in late '63/early '64 as a '64 model; it used the 0-30 ohm sender and the
80 MPH FC dashboard.

4) The Chevy Van continued to use the 0-30 ohm sender and Corvair dash
through 1966.

It would seem to me that the wire resistance element of the sender would be
the same as the EM Corvair or other '64 and earlier GM cars.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.