<VV> brake job--a few questions

John McMahon jmac2112 at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 20 13:15:14 EST 2006

Hi, I'm attempting to do my first brake overhaul, and I have a few
questions.  I've got the shop manual, and I've got another book with an
exploded diagram of a typical GM drum brake, but there are still a few
mysteries:

1) Why is one of the hold down springs tapered?  Which side does it go on?

2) What is the "special washer" for?  Where does it go?

3) Does anyone have a picture of exactly how the strut between front and
rear pads is installed?

I might have a few more questions before this is all said and done, but
these will get me started!  I think I'll take pictures of my overhaul and
post them, so that a) those with more experience can correct my mistakes,
and b) other "brake newbies" can see how it's done.

Thanks,

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe 110