<VV> Dual Exhaust Worth It?

ncwitte at wittelaw.com ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Tue Mar 21 21:06:58 EST 2006

Tim, there are some that say that a dual exhaust system on a Corvair has some
annoying resonances.  On longer trips I will say that the 140 can be a bit loud
and drony (if that's a word) though I like the sound of the motor.

If you want to get fancy, you could have a shop fabricate a balance tube between
the u-pipes on the dual set-up, which I understand will mellow the exhaust note
considerably.  Not to give the "read the book" answer, but if I recall, this
was covered in Bob Helt's Classic Corvair.  My copy is at the office so I can't
be sure of that answer.

As to how much more power you are going to get, I guess that depends upon what
you're looking for.  I had a 110 pg convertible for awhile and when I bought
the car I expected it to be a total dog, but it wasn't that bad.  It didn't
inspire me to go drag racing, but let's face it: stock or near stock Corvairs
can't come close to competing with a lot of the iron on the street these days
in acceleration.

Let me ask you this question: do you like the way the car drives now? Is it
powerful enough?  Does the exhaust sound good to you?

The flip side:  if you think it would be cool, just do it.  You'll get a little
more power and you'll have made your car cooler.  It's not that big a deal to
switch back.

Hey, why not steal the parts of Ryan's car and see how you like it?  If it
sucks, give them back.  If not, tell him to get some more parts. gggggg

Norm