<VV> brake adjusters and Metallic brakes

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 15:32:17 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/22/2006 10:14:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rgubser at zoomtown.com writes:

I'm  going to replace the brakes on my '62 with metallic shoes that I bought
from  The Source several years ago. I assume these are similar to the metallic
 brakes that Clark's currently sells. I'd like to add self-adjusters to my
brakes when I do this job. For a street-driven car that won't be raced is
there any disadvantage to doing this? Thanks.

Ralph  Gubser
Cincinnati, OH

There is a bit of controversy on this. If the material is similar to the GM
material, the braking effectiveness increases with temperature (at least to
some  high point). The problem with self-adjusters that some have seen is that
there  will always be unequal adjustment. Maybe just a little bit of
difference, but  unequal. If the shoes are adjusted so that one side (of a front or rear
 pair) contacts a little bit before the other, or is self-adjusted out to
just  contact a bit more on one side, the material will heat up more than the
other  side. When you apply the brakes, that side, pre-heated by previous
self-adjustment, will give better friction and stopping ability than the other -
That will cause a brake pull in that direction. Once the brakes are heated  up,
as in racing, or heavy street use, the temperature difference will be tiny
and the pull might not be noticed.  Some people never notice this, but is  not a
rare phenomena.  Many autocrossers I know prefer non-metallic brakes,
because the stopping power is needed at the first corner on course, from a
dead-cold standstill. Metallics aren't designed to provide that. The story  is told of
the guy who backs his metallic lining car out of the driveway on  a cold
morning and it goes straight across the street up into his  neighbors driveway
before he can stop. The new Kevlar or ceramic or  composite linings may be a
better compromise in that area. -  Seth