<VV> Proper tie down of a Corvair onto a Car Carrier Trailer

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 15:34:46 EST 2006

Folks,

I have purchased an 18' long dove tail car carrier trailer for bringing my
car to events some distance from home.  The car isn't a show car, I just  don't
want to rack up a lot of mileage going the events in the next state  etc.
Also if it breaks down, I have a means of getting it home.

I understand that you need to back the car onto the trailer to put the
weight (60% to the rear) onto the trailer tongue.  My specific question is  this:
What is the best and safest means for securing the car to the  trailer.  I have
been told to chain the front of the car to the two front  securement points
and then to use fabric straps with ratchet attachments to  the rear.  If this
is so, what is the best place to attach to on the front  (of the car) and also
the rear of the car.

I have seen some information that you should cinch the car down (pull  down)
onto it's suspension to reduce bounce and rebound of the shocks while
traveling.  On a car with a frame, I suppose that would be fairly simple,  but on the
unibody Corvair, I don't know how this could be accomplished.  I  also read
that you shouldn't bind down on the suspension pieces "A" arms, etc.  because
they can be damaged.  On the Corvair, it seems that the most likely  place to
attach to would be the lower "A" arms of the rear suspension.

Any information will be appreciated.
Thanks
Randy Vidrine
Branch, LA