<VV> Proper tie down of a Corvair onto a Car Carrier Trailer

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 15:53:14 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/22/2006 12:35:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
JRVIDRINE at aol.com writes:

I  understand that you need to back the car onto the trailer to put the
weight (60% to the rear) onto the trailer tongue.  My specific  question is
this:
What is the best and safest means for securing the  car to the  trailer.  I
have
been told to chain the front of the  car to the two front  securement points
and then to use fabric straps  with ratchet attachments to  the rear.

Randy- You will get lots of different opinions on this one. What I did to
confirm the trailer tongue weight was to borrow a trailer ball weight gage. When
 tucked under the contacting point of the trailer, you can read the actual
weight  pushing down on the ball of the towing vehicle. I moved my car fore and
aft to  get the 10% number I was seeking. Once there, I marked the trailer for
the  center of the front wheels and rear wheels, so I could just put the car
back in  the same place every time.
Depending on the fore-aft location of the wheels on your trailer, you  may or
may not want to load rearward first. You might be able to position the  car a
little bit more forward (Front first) and still get the tongue load you
want. It would certainly make loading and unloading a bit easier.  On my  current
car, I loop the front ratchet straps over the lower control arms  and snugged
them to the front D rings, then I loop the rears around the rear  live axle
and snug them to the rear. On a late Vair, I would loop the rear  straps around
the lower strut rod or the drive axles and snug them up. You can  leave the
emerency brake on for this, as long as you take it out of gear, and  release the
Parking brake before you go. I also tow about 25 feet, stop, then go  back
are verify the snugness of the tie-downs. Some folks like to tie-down  just the
four wheels, so the chassis is not loaded during tow. It is an option.  - Seth
Emerson