<VV> Whatd'yapack (Mechanically) for the trip?

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 22 17:45:01 EST 2006

Tim,
  My "package" consists of a lot, but it is all in one tool box. One complete distributor, starter, alternator, front wheel hub with bearing studs & nuts, coil, one push rod with rocker assy & spring, two universal joints, duct tape, electrical tape, several lengths of various wires, circuit tester, fan belt, spare headlight and various bulbs, various fuses, A couple of spark plugs and a couple of the longest spark plug wires and voltage regulator and certainly a spare fuel pump.

   There is a canvas tool bag to fit somewhere in the trunk with an assortment of the most used sizes, and of course a fire extinguisher in the cabin and a flash light.

   It may seem like overkill, but on one weekend trip in Vermont the spare front wheel hub was used to replace a bad wheel bearing on one car and two of the hub studs to fix another car.

   Most of these are good used parts and the stash is added to whenever it occurs to me that if I break this item, I may be stranded. Even AAA will not have the part need to get me going again.

   What prompted me to do this? Detroit national '79. A bad voltage regulator, destroyed the alternator which burnt out the points, coil  and boiled the battery into junk.

   PS: the idiot light does not come on in a' 69 when you have a severe over voltage situation at night on the drive there.

Tim Verthein <minoxphotographer at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hey all...

I posted this to one of the online forums a while back, but didn't get
much response, so I thought I'd toss it out here....
trouble. Tools? I always bring more than I need for everything.

So..what's in your "early Corvair road trip back up pack"?

Tim in Bovey

MIKE KOVACS