<VV> Whatd'yapack

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Mar 22 18:06:07 EST 2006

My experience has been is that all too often that sort of thing can
become a crutch.  I used to carry all kinds of stuff with me.  Once I
stopped, my failure rate went way down, there really aren't that many
things that fail utterly without warning.  My point is to heed the
warning and fix what's wrong, the very best preparation is keeping
things up.  Got a little drip out of the fuel pump?  When *was* the
last time a new fan belt went on?  Funny noise in the front end?  Fix
it.  Generator brushes?  Yes, if you're driving in the desert at night
you'd best have some along, but when it did happen on the way to our
vacation it worked like this:

  - "Pshaw, the gen light is on."
  - Continue to destination.
  - Get out CORSA roster.
  - Call around to local members, find out who has three of them in the
stash.
  - Go there, get part, bolt on.
  - Buy new friend a beer.

Besides that, these are solid, reliable cars when in good repair.  I
don't carry parts and tools and such in the water pumpers (does
anyone?), so I don't do so as a general rule in the Corvairs either.

--Bryan