<VV> Whatd'yapack

Mark Noakes mark at noakes.com
Wed Mar 22 18:25:22 EST 2006

Actually, good point.  For the most part my Corvairs have been very reliable.

I don't drive my Corvair that far any more, but I used to regularly take my 66 on weekend trips of 600 miles and occasional longer trips of about 1,000 miles.  I used to carry a lot of spare parts because that was where I kept them...since I lived in an apartment, but I never had a breakdown on the road...not counting the racoon that I hit that somehow messed up my shifter.  I had a few breakdowns around town...but most of those were after autocrossing!...other than a clutch cable or two.

The Lakewood  made many much longer round trips over 1500 miles...and I also used it for quite a while for a 120 mile per day daily commute...and I usually didn't carry spare parts for it...it also never broke down on the road...a few generator problems around town though...till I swapped to an alternator.

Total miles I put on the Lakewood w/o getting left on the side of the road = about 140Kmiles, driven thru the 1980s. not running now.

Total miles put on the 66 w/o getting left on the side of the road = also about 140Kmiles for me though the car had 96Kmiles on it when I got it...I did cheat and swap engines at about 236Kmiles though...so now at 250Kmiles.  driven heavily from 74 thru 82 and sporadically since then.

Mark Noakes

Mark Noakes

Personal, hobby, enthusiast vehicles, work/school, nature/travel/art photography located at:

http://blog.mark.noakes.com/

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is usually a difference."--Anonymous

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
-- Mark Twain.