<VV> Proper tie down of a Corvair onto a Car Carrier

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Wed Mar 22 19:04:44 EST 2006

My car survived (mostly) a 270 degree DFNDOT (departure from normal direction of travel) at over 50 mph on a trailer on its ride home from the PO.  It was strapped down with very heavy duty nylon straps front and rear.  We wrapped the straps around the front lower a-arms near the ball joints (I didn't know about the little tie down holes in the lower rails) and wrapped the straps around the lower control arms near the shocks.  We tightened them up pretty good, I can't remember if we had the brake on or not.  We had loaded it nose forward because it's a convertible and things seemed OK but on a downhill stretch of freeway we got into an uncontrolable oscillation and spun 270 degrees.  I thought we were gonna die but nope, we didn't.  I also expected to look back and see the Corvair lying on its back on the freeway but nope, it was still on the trailer.  I thought it had escaped all injury but later found the lower rear quarter panel hit one of the trailer siderails.  The car had move on the trailer but it stayed on.  I'm going to try not to do that again - no more trailering for me.  BTW, we flipped it around backwards and duck taped the top around the rear window and it was steady as a rock the rest of the way home.  That tongue weight business is important it turns out.