<VV> 140 power increase

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 00:18:24 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/22/2006 11:05:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
ron67ran at hotmail.com writes:

probably  need most power under 5000 rpm---will be street driven and not
roadraced--reading up on this vehicle seems the 4 carbs are the way to go  so
that leaves internal mods and exhaust to get an increase--can spend  about
2000 to 2500 to rebuild the engine--what works on a small block may  not work
on this type of engine. Is an increase to 200-220 hp possible? My  car is a
65 convertible but I also have a 66 parts car with the stronger 4
speed--anyone sell a reasonably priced long block in this price range?Im
planning on doing this engine myself but dont know a lot about them-  thanks

Hi Ron,
Well, you will get a lot of different opinions on this but here's what I
suggest in order of generally more difficult changes. I would think with most of
these changes, you might be able to get a net 140 hp from a 140 hp engine
(stock  140 puts out a net of about 109 hp). To get anything higher you will have
to go  above 5000 rpm. To get 200-220 hp you will have use a turbocharger.
Very  difficult to get that kind of hp when revs are limited to 5000.

overbore 0.040
set squish clearance to thickness of gasket (0.032)
increase cr.  9.5 will run on pump gas.  Higher cr will take  better fuel
pocket port heads.
Use 95 hp cam with 140 hp heads.
headers
Don't bother enlarging carbs unless you rev above 5000.

Regards,
Bob Helt