Fwd: <VV> brake adjusters and Metallic brakes

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 09:53:37 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/22/2006 3:33:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Sethracer at aol.com writes:

> The story  is told of
> the guy who backs his metallic lining car out of the driveway on  a cold
> morning and it goes straight across the street up into his  neighbors
> driveway
> before he can stop.

This sounds like the reoccurring nightmare I used to have about my velvetouch
metallic shoes after all the stories I heard about metallic brakes.  But it
never happened to me.  I used metallic shoes for about ten years on my daily
drivers (3) and I always made sure to "seat" them carefully when first installed
by taking the car to an empty parking lot and braking hard from 30 mph--just
short of lockup--about 20 times to heat and seat the shoes to the drums.  The
nightmare never was more than a bad dream and my metallic shoe equipped cars
always stopped straight.  I kept the self adjusters on all cars and
occassionally there was slight pull from one wheel or another at initial application, but
nothing that my wife or I didn't learn to unconsciously adjust for by braking
harder to even things out.  I don't have metallic shoes now because I don't
have the time (usually) to do my own brake jobs, but when I retire I will go
back to them if they are still available.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa