<VV> Re: Trailer rotation

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Mar 23 09:54:22 EST 2006

>  We had loaded it nose forward because it's a convertible and things
> seemed OK but on a downhill stretch of freeway we got into an
> uncontrolable oscillation and spun 270 degrees.

Sounds like either a single axle trailer or a dual axle with low pressure
in one or more tires. I always called them speed wobbles and can be real
scary. Some say to accelerate out (speed band is not large) but I prefer to
lift and let the rig slow.  I always had a separate control for the trailer
brakes and applying them only would usually damp any sway. Is the type of
thing you need to rehearse in your mind so not thought is needed.

Trailer tires are made much stiffer than passenger car tires and passenger
car radials on a car trailer are really not a good idea since the movement
of the tire can help an oscillation get started. If necessary to use
passenger car tires, inflate to the maximum allowed.

Does point out the need to know where the car on the trailer balances, get
the tongue weight right, and check the trailer tire pressure regularly.

That said, I pulled a Corvette all around the midwest with a LeMans Station
Wagon and remember getting a bit of wobble when a tire went flat but
nothing like you described.

Would not let one bad experience put you off, just learn from it.

Padgett