<VV> Proper tie down of a Corvair onto a Car Carrier

Bucketboss at aol.com Bucketboss at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 11:05:48 EST 2006

When trailering, tongue weight is your friend. There are two ways to stop
the oscillation you speak of. Hit the trailer brakes manually (if you have
electric brakes w/ a controller) or accelerate. Now, it  seems counter intuitive
to speed up down hill....but in that instance that is  what may save you NOT
hitting the tow vehicle brakes. That action will  exacerbate the problem and set
you up into further trouble. Really not a place I  want to end up again.

I learned this from an experience first hand 30 yrs ago with a race  car in
tow. We wound up in the ditch backwards, but not upside down and shaken  up,
but alive. I'll never load a trailer wrong again after  that.

When trailering now and I am in question of load. I will always err on the
side of too much tongue weight. This seems to work for me.

 Dave Fierek

in Minnesota and
Waiting for Spring............