<VV> Tires again. Sorry

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Mar 23 17:26:13 EST 2006

Not really. In the big picture, even the cheapest tires today are better
than the original Corvair tires, so "stock" performance wise isn't a
good argument.

BUT, have you noticed the way that MSCC classifies cars? The have a
points based method of determining "stock" class. (Similar to the points
base method of moving folks out of IS into a higher modification.) Their
idea being that as long as the modification points are minimized
(recognizing that most people don't drive around concours stock vehicles
anyway), folks are still driving an essentially "stock" car. (R tires or
greater immediately put you out of stock, but tires were otherwise free.)

In my case (when I was running the quattro), I was able to do so in
"stock" class because the only modifications that carried points were
aftermarket springs (shocks were free) and 1" larger diameter rims (1/2"
rim width was free).

Ditto when I was running my Corvair there. The cut springs were really
the only thing that added points (I was running 13x6 Minilites and Yoko
Intermediates).

If "stock" classes are slim in CORSA autocross events, I could see them
adopting some (very) limited modification points that would relax the
standards a bit. But if there are sufficient folks running pure stock
cars, why change it?

Bill