<VV> Main Bearings

Travis Bolton kc_corvair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 24 00:07:04 EST 2006

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find it.

  Anyway, tonight I split the block on my '63 102/PG.  I hadn't planned to, but as I was getting ready to start putting the pistons back on, I noticed the crank wasn't perfect, so I want to get it polished (I don't think it's bad enough for grinding)

  I read in the Tech Guide about the factory using some undersize bearings to accomodate for the block halves being slightly mismatched.  Sure enough, one side of mine are all .001.  As I said I don't plan to grind the crank just polish.

  My question is - what to do?  Clark's doesn't sell "mismatched" sets apparently, and they don't even carry the .001 anymore (I didn't check other suppliers).

  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.  If you can point me to the info somewhere else, that's cool too.

  -Travis